Law 154 for the Welfare and Protection of Animals
Depending on the crime, penalties carry incarceration up to 15 years and/or fines up to $25,000. If you witness a person mistreating an animal, call the Commonwealth Police of Rincón at 787-823-2020. The Commonwealth Police of Rincón are obligated to respond to concerns regarding mistreatment and negligence. If you’d like ARF of Rincon to work with you to get the Police to respond please email us email@example.com. For the pick-up of sick, dead, or injured animals, please call the Municipal Government-Obras Públicas at 787-823-2015.
From Law 154 “…scientific studies exist regarding the correlation between the mistreatment of animals and the violence against people. The abuse toward animals can indicate the existence of a more profound problem. Children, teenagers or persons that abuse animals may be themselves victims of abuse and can become people that have no respect for life or human dignity. Violence is
violence regardless who is the victim; a person who abuses animals lack empathy towards other living beings and runs the risk of committing violence towards others. It’s important to take actions to avoid the continuation of the mistreatment of animals.”
Crimes that carry incarceration and/or fines include:
- Animal abandonment
- Confinement of animals
- Mistreatment by negligence
- Aggravated negligence against animals
- Mistreatment of animals (including 3rd degree)
- Animal Fights
- Animal transport resulting in unnecessary suffering
- Mistreatment of animal by judicial entities
- Animal trapping that causes injury or unnecessary suffering.
- Euthanasia inadequately performed and/or by untrained personnel.
- Unauthorized cosmetic surgery
- Violation of an order of protection in cases of domestic violence in which animals are involved.
- Experimentation on live animals